Kingston University's Kingston Hill campus is in the grounds of two former grand houses built in the 1830s on Kingston Hill, Kenry House and Coombe Hurst. The University grounds contain remnants of the ancient woodland with mature oak trees pre-dating the 1830s, together with fragments of the C19th landscaped gardens and parkland planting.
The land of both houses formerly belonged to Earl Spencer, and was once part of the ancient Coombe Wood. The 1837 Coombe Estate map shows parkland surrounding the houses. In 1948 Gipsy Hill Training College acquired Coombe Hurst, unoccupied since 1940, and then in 1950 expanded further when it purchased Kenry House, which had been empty since 1933. Gipsy Hill amalgamated with Kingston Polytechnic in 1975, which became Kingston University in 1992.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site can be visited by prior arrangement only.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site can be visited by prior arrangement only.
DirectionsRail: Norbiton then bus. Bus: 85, 485.
London Parks and Gardens Trust