Grove House was acquired by the Froebel Educational Institute in 1921. It is now one of the four colleges of Roehampton University, which was established in 2004 out of the earlier Roehampton Institute. The main campus is comprised of the Froebel, Digby Stuart College and Southlands College, with Whitelands College and a number of other fine houses converted for educational use in the area.
Roehampton Great House originally stood on this site, built by David Papillon in c.1624, who sold it in 1625 to Sir Richard Weston. Some of the foundations are visible in the cellar of Grove House, the later house that James Wyatt built in 1792 for Sir Joshua Vanneck. The grounds were laid out in the C18th when Capability Brown is thought to have been consulted. Formal gardens with a lily pond, fountain and limestone terrace were created in the C19th, as was a grotto. There are also an icehouse, lake, sham bridge and mausoleum in the grounds.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail: Barnes then bus. Bus: 72, 265, 485
- Late 18th Century
- 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust