Preceptory of The Knights Hospitallers, Shingay cum Wendy (also known as Shingay Hall)5895

Shingay cum Wendy, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Previous features include a chapel, two dovecotes, a moat and a lake.

History

The Preceptory of The Knights Hospitallers was established in the mid-12th century.

Detailed Description

The site eventually contained a manor house, chapel, two dovecotes and other buildings, all within an extensive moat. The latter widened at its south-eastern corner to form a small lake across which visitors glimpsed the house.

After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1540, the buildings were converted into Shingay Hall. The house was pulled down in the late-18th century, the church in 1697 and the ruins of its replacement chapel were removed in 1836. There are foundations of buildings and the extensive moated site can still be discerned. Some old fruit trees still remain in the south-west corner.

Features
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lake
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Chapel
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Shingay cum Wendy
History

Detailed History

In the mid-12th century, the manor of Shingay was given to the Knights Hospitallers who made it their administrative centre for all their lands in the area.

Period

  • 12th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust