At its heyday the estate extended to 4500 hectares of mountain and the house and park occupied most of the former village. There were exotic trees and shrubs, drives and lodges. On the terrace to the north and east of the house were seven elaborately planted geometric beds. To the west was a quadrangular geometrically-planted garden with a fountain at its centre and glasshouses against the walls on three sides. To the east the land sloped away to the lawn and the river. Parts of the site are now a caravan park.
The mansion was built in 1872 for the wealthy Sir Edmund Buckley who had inherited estates in Lancashire and purchased much land here. The estate was broken up in 1883 after his death. A later owner of the mansion (Dr Walker 1907) was short of funds, and when the house was destroyed by fire in 1917 it was not repaired. It was eventually cleared away in 1960.
- Mansion House (featured building)
- Description: A lavish Victorian Gothick style mansion with a tall central tower and prominent gables. The fire-damaged shell was cleared away in 1960.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
DirectionsThe estate is approached on the A470 eastward from Dolgellau. The mansion was formerly just north of the two chapels which remain in Dinas Mawddwy.
- Lloyd, T. The Lost Houses of Wales, SAVE, London 1989The lost houses of Wales