Picton Castle 2620

Haverfordwest, Wales

Brief Description

The castle dates from around 1300, and has been altered many times. There is extensive parkland to the north of the castle with informal gardens and woodland walks (dating from around 1800) surrounding it. To the west is a fine walled pleasure garden and utilitarian garden to the east.

History

The early castle was a three-storey structure with seven towers, though substantial alterations since 1700 have removed much of the original detailing.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open to the public. Days and times vary seasonally. See: http://www.pictoncastle.co.uk/for-visitors/opening-times
Features
  • Castle (featured building)
  • Description: The present castle was probably built by Sir John Wogan in about 1300. It has been much altered, especially from 1740 onwards. A new wing was added in 1790.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: This is the old stable courtyard.
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: There are several drives, but the main drive through the park has altered little since the 18th century.
  • Pond
  • Description: Circular pond.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Walled kitchen garden.
Artificial Mound, Summerhouse, Ha-ha, Fountain, Fishpond
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open to the public. Days and times vary seasonally. See: http://www.pictoncastle.co.uk/for-visitors/opening-times

Directions

The site is signposted off the A40, approximately 3 miles east of Haverfordwest.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Slebech
Contact
References

References