Landshipping 2005

Pembrokeshire, Wales

Pgds 20090122 110907 Landshipping1

Brief Description

Landshipping was a mid-17th century house, ruined by 1811 and demolished soon after. There are well-preserved earthwork remains of the large and complex 17th-century formal garden with terraces, ponds and paths. There are also two extant walled gardens adjacent to the former house.

History

By 1670, the house contained 20 hearths, making it one of the largest in Pembrokeshire. The gardens were laid out some time in the latter half of the 17th century.

Features

Style

  • Formal
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: The new mansion replaced the 17th century house. The new house is now a ruin.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Terrace
  • Description: Series of earthwork terraces which create five main levels of the garden.
  • Pond
  • Description: Two formal ponds. Three further ponds have been identified from aerial photographs.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Martletwy
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here
References

References