Slebech Park 2997

Haverfordwest, Wales

Brief Description

Slebech Park has a medieval house, replaced by a 'castle-wise' Georgian mansion in about 1776. The terraces are supposedly of late-17th century origin overlooking the Afon Cleddau to the south.The park contains drives (frequently adjusted), water features, bridges and woods. The stables and coachouse are attributed to Anthony Keck. The associated walled kitchen garden is now demolished. The east drive, two kilometres long through woods and fields, was constructed about 1825.

History

The site was occupied by the Knights Hospitallers in the 12th century. The present house was built about 1776, and the park was mainly laid out in the 18th century, probably being established by 1780. Some areas of the grounds were remodelled from about 1815 onwards.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house has three storeys with sash windows and a leaded flat roof.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Chapel
  • Description: Church of St. John the Baptist.
  • Drive
  • Description: Several drives, much altered.
  • Pond
  • Description: Several ponds, some ornamental, some utilitarian.
  • Temple
  • Description: Two storey tower, known as the Temple of the Four Winds.
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: The garden terraces are thought to date from the late-17th century, and were certainly long established by 1815.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Sundial
  • Latest Date:
Ornamental Bridge, Glasshouse
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Slebech
Associated People
Contact
References

References