The site consists of woodland with bridlepaths and footpaths cut through it. Species include chestnut, beech, oak and silver birch.
Petts Wood is named after the Pett family of shipbuilders who are believed to have owned the wood in the C16th. It is technically two properties, Willett Wood to the east and Edlmann Wood to the west. In 1925 part of the wood was saved from housing development by a local campaign and opened to the public in 1927, with a memorial to William Willett. In 1927 Francis Edlmann purchased the remaining land as an extension to his Hawkwood estate. Following his death in 1950 it was eventually purchased and given as a gift to the National Trust, and opened in April 1958.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Petts Wood; St Mary’s Cray. Bus: 61, 273
London Parks and Gardens Trust