The cemetery layout has changed little, although between 1938 and 1960 it was extended to the north. Today the cemetery is surrounded by iron railings. The main north-south path from the entrance is flanked by western red cedar trees, with a group of trees at the circle at the north end consisting of an oak, holly and a field maple. In the north-west corner of the cemetery is a memorial garden for cremations marked by horizontal inscribed slabs set into the grass, with another railed area on the north-east dedicated as a children's memorial area.
Chislehurst Cemetery is the largest of Bromley's municipal cemeteries and opened in 1912. Milner, Son and White were appointed landscape gardeners in October 1910 and their fee for designing the roads, paths, layout and planting was £10.
Visitor FacilitiesThe cemetery is open daily - April-Sept: 10am-7pm; October-March 10am-4pm
Detailed DescriptionChislehurst Cemetery, the largest of Bromley's municipal cemeteries, opened in 1912. The need for a new burial ground was noted from 1905 when the parish churchyard of St Nicholas was becoming full. The land, formerly a field, was purchased from Robert Marsham-Townshend, the Lord of the Manor of Chislehurst and Scadbury. A design competition was held for the cemetery buildings, won by Curtis Green, architect of the Dorchester Hotel. Milner, Son and White were appointed landscape gardeners in October 1910 to design the roads, paths, layout and planting. The cemetery layout has changed little, although by 1960 it had been extended to the north by annexing part of Hoblands Woods.
LB Bromley Cemeteries page on website; Chislehurst and Sidcup UDC Minute Books, No 3 1904-06, No 4 1906-7, No 6 1908-9, No 7 1909-10, No 8 1910-11, No 9 1911-12 and No 10, 1912-13; D Spurgeon and R Hopper, 'Discover Chislehurst' (Baron, 2007), p.67.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BRO020
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe cemetery is open daily - April-Sept: 10am-7pm; October-March 10am-4pm
DirectionsBus :160, 269 stop in Perry Street at end of Beaverwood Road.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust