A small triangular piece of land beside the Holy Trinity Church was developed into an informal ‘Peace Garden’ with grass, flower bed and lavender bushes along the edges. There is a War Memorial, an explanatory display board and a bench for quiet contemplation. The garden is beside a residential road with no fencing or wall and is near the local primary school. It is maintained by the local Stroud Green Residents’ Association.
Early in the morning of Sunday 16 July 1944 during World War 2 a V-1 ‘Flying Bomb’ fell on Granville Road, London N4 killing 15 people and seriously injuring 35 others. Twelve houses were destroyed and others were damaged. Holy Trinity Church was also hit, later being declared unsafe and pulled down.There was an existing War Memorial. The Peace Garden was developed by the local Residents’ Association and opened by veteran Peace Campaigner Bruce Kent in March 2011, as a memorial to those non-combatants who also lost their lives in World War 2.
- Stroud Green