The Stoke Newington Reservoirs are preserved as a nature reserve (East Reservoir) and for recreational use (West Reservoir). The Pumping Station was converted into an indoor climbing centre, which has an acre of garden around it. A Community Garden has been established by the East Reservoir.
The New River was constructed in the early C17th to bring fresh water into London from Hertfordshire, with 2 loops flowing through Stoke Newington. Following complaints about water flow and leakage, the New River Company leased land and constructed 2 new reservoirs in 1836. Filter Beds and a Pumping Station resembling a medieval castle were built to the west in 1856. In 1946 the Filtration Works ceased to be used, and the New River was terminated beyond this point.
Visitor FacilitiesNew River Path unrestricted. East Reservoir Garden Mon-Fri 9.30-5.30 (extended in summer). West Reservoir Centre: daily 9-5. The Castle Mon-Sat 9-7pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsNew River Path unrestricted. East Reservoir Garden Mon-Fri 9.30-5.30 (extended in summer). West Reservoir Centre: daily 9-5. The Castle Mon-Sat 9-7pm.
DirectionsTube: Manor House (Piccadilly). Rail: Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill then bus. Bus: 106, 141, 253, 254, 259, 279, 341
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust