Parkfield House was a Georgian and Victorian country house in a formal garden with lawns, kitchen garden, glasshouses, parkland and fields. In 1896 it was described as having stables, coach house, farm buildings and several closes of land. The house has been demolished and only the gateposts and the wall along Manchester Old Road remain. The parkland is now football pitches.
Parkfield House was the residence of Thomas Ashton JP in 1848. After the death of the late Mrs Ashton the estate was sold to Harvey Heywood JP of Springvale House, Tong, who also owned the farm adjoining Parkfield, John Lee Fold. Harvey Heywood became the first Mayor of Middleton in 1886. He died in 1920 and Mrs Heywood (nee Harriette Jacobs, daughter of William Jacobs of Chale Abbey, Isle of Wight) sold the house in 1925 and moved to her daughter's house, Onston Hall, Cheshire. There is a memorial window in Middleton Parish Church to Harvey Heywood and his son, William Dickins Heywood.
- House (featured building)
- Description: Parkfield House was originally a three bay Georgian block with a canted bay to the east and a porch with Tuscan pilasters. It was later extended to the west by two bays with a pediment on the west facade. The house was greatly enlarged in the mid-19th century with a long wing to the north-east of the main block, with another three storey wing of three bays by two at the end. There was a conservatory off the Drawing Room. Associated buildings included a gardeners cottage, stables, coach house and farm buildings. When it became the Town Hall for Middleton in 1925 it was modified. Over the years the sash windows were taken out and the house generally fell in to decline. It was demolished in 1978.
- Earliest Date:
- Boundary Wall
- Description: Heavy rusticated wall to Manchester Old Road.
- Late 18th Century