Park Wood 6568

Havant, England, Hampshire, Havant

Brief Description

Park Wood is now leased by Havant Borough Council to the Woodland Trust, who manage it with the Friends of Park Wood.

History

Park Wood, a Forest of Bere woodland, was among plots sold by the Enclosure Commissioners in 1813 to defray their expenses. Within a few years it belonged to the newly built Hart Plain House.

Visitor Facilities

The site is a conservation area managed by the Woodland Trust, and open for general public use.

Detailed Description

Park Wood is now leased by Havant Borough Council to the Woodlands Trust, who manage it with the Friends of Park Wood. The Friends' achievements include clearing Victorian laurel and bamboo. Native species are regenerating and bird life is increasing. Dr Beddow's house burnt down around 1996 and was replaced by a modern home.

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is a conservation area managed by the Woodland Trust, and open for general public use.
History

Detailed History

Park Wood, a Forest of Bere woodland, was among plots sold by the Enclosure Commissioners in 1813 to defray their expenses. Within a few years it belonged to the newly built Hart Plain House (HR1651), 0.25 mile west. Park Wood lay across the parish boundary and in January 2001 contains remnants of boundary oaks described in 1865. The 1838 Tithe map shows Park Wood as the productive area for Hart Plain House. It had a walled garden among the trees, and on its eastern boundary with London Road there was a Lodge and an acre of garden. On the Ordnance Survey 25" 1st edition map the walled garden was intersected with fruit-lined paths and the woodland was criss-crossed with paths. The Hart Plain estate was split up around 1910; Park Wood became the garden of Park Wood Cottage, an arts and crafts house, and had moss-covered paths. Its owner, Dr Frederick Beddow, died in 1953 and left Park Wood to his housekeeper during her lifetime, after which it was to be sold to finance a new library. When Dr Beddow's Trustees came to carry out his bequest, some 20 years after his death, Park Wood was a prime housing site, but after campaigning by local residents it was saved.

Contact

Telephone

01476 581111

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Havant Council