Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Merchistoun Hall (also known as Quallets, The Grove, Grove Lodge)


The house, stable block and part of the kitchen garden wall remain. There is also a border of trees from the old estate along the A3. The site is now a community centre.

The site has been developed as a community centre, opening the grounds to the public. The house, stable block, with a much altered farmhouse and part of the kitchen garden wall remain. Three modern houses have been built within the old kitchen garden area. An interesting remainder of the estate is the border of trees along the A3, with a small area newly-planted into an attractive garden.
Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details

The parkland, as with the building, is owned and managed by Horndean Community Association.

For opening times please visit the Merchistoun Hall and Park website or contact 023 9400 1394


Horndean Community Association

Merchistoun Hall, Portsmouth Road, Horndean

19th Century

Merchistoun Hall, so called by Admiral Charles Napier in the mid-19th-century after his ancestral home in Scotland, was previously called 'Quallets', 'The Grove' or 'Grove Lodge'. The estate was gradually built up as land became available, probably by James Conway and some later owners over several years.

The present house was probably built in the early-19th-century, near the site of the original farmhouse, afterwards used as a bailiff's house, and still surviving. The estate, known first as a ‘hunting lodge', gradually became a ‘gentleman's residence', with hunting available locally and spacious grounds surrounding the house.

There is little map evidence concerning the garden except there was a lawn in front of the house. Two locally well-known gardeners, Henry and William Drover, father and son, were employed by Admiral Sir Charles Napier. Henry Drover particularly was known as a chrysanthemum grower. He published a book on chrysanthemum growing. After having moved to Fareham, he supplied the royal family with flowers on the journeys to and from the Isle of Wight. After the death of Admiral Sir Charles's daughter, the estate had many tenants.

20th Century

Local entrepreneur Maurice Hill seemed to have taken more interest in the house, refurbishing it during his ownership. It was, however, used by the army during the war, and later was bought in 1942 by AW White & Company, after 1945 it was used as a furniture store. Finally, the much-reduced estate, having suffered from extensive development in the area, was bought by the Horndean Community Association.

Features & Designations


  • Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty

  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building

  • Reference: Merchistoun Hall
  • Grade: II


  • Stable Block
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: Part of the kitchen garden wall remains.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Community Centre (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Three modern houses have been built within the old kitchen garden area.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Belt
  • Description: An interesting remainder of the estate is the border of trees along the A3.
Key Information





Principal Building

Domestic / Residential


Part: standing remains

Open to the public


Civil Parish




  • Hampshire Gardens Trust

  • Anne Wellsted