Cruckton Hall 5252

Cruckton, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

By the 1880s there were extensive wooded grounds around Cruckton Hall and its outbuildings. There is a dovecote, probably dating to the late 18th century. Additionally, two fields south of the grounds, running down to Cruckton mill, had been imparked

History

There was a hall at Cruckton on this site from the 17th century, but it was rebuilt almost entirely by Edward Harries in the 1770s, and a park and grounds were created. The hall is now a school for troubled boys, founded in 1981.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Cruckton Hall already existed on this site in the 17th century. In 1684, when occupied by Thomas Harries, the house consisted of hall, parlour, kitchen and servants' wing and was two storeys high with lofts over.In the 1770's, Thomas's descendant, The Reverend Edward Harries, had the Hall 'almost new built.' He built the much enlarged house in the red brick, Georgian style seen today. He added the stable block and its clock tower, and a dovecote in front of the house. He used some of the earlier house's internal structure as the ground floor. Ceilings in the present Hall's west wing include early 17th century beams. There were various additions until about 1900 when a billiard room was added.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Description: There is a dovecote of late 18th century date in the grounds of Cruckton Hall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: There is a stable block of late 18th century date in the grounds of Cruckton Hall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Great Hanwood
History

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References