A Victorian garden much of which remains. The garden extends to 1.2 hectares including ponds, the remains of the kitchen garden, several ponds, box edging and a Victorian tennis lawn.
Detailed DescriptionA 0.4 hectare meadow to the east contains a thatched coach house/stable, and two ponds fed by a stream. The upper circular pond is probably a horse pond connected by a decayed brick bridge to the lower pond which is rectangular and may be a medieval fish pond.
The front garden to the south and the north garden retain their Victorian layout. The south garden, with its circular carriage drive and box edging, includes beech, ash, Irish yews and two Pinus nigra. The north garden was the kitchen garden (dated to around 1882) comprising three box-edged beds, but is now grassed over. The northern boundary is an 8 feet brick wall and an old espalier pear still remains.
To the east is a tennis lawn of Victorian origin.
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Detailed HistoryThe house, of 13th-century origin, originally with an open hall, lies east of the church on the former village green in grounds of some 1.2 hectares.