Tetworth Hall 5913

Tetworth, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Tetworth Hall include a woodland walk, lawns, a grass terrace, brick-edged flower beds and a vegetable garden.

History

Tetworth Hall was established in the early-18th century as a private residence for John Pedley.

Detailed Description

Today the woodland walk has been developed with fine collections of rhododendrons, azaleas and other acid soil loving plants. Groups of oak and sweet chestnuts form a shade canopy over large pools and a bog garden. Spectacular clumps of Himalayan lilies over 10 feet high follow the rhododendrons.

The west lawn has rose beds and diamond brick-edged beds planted with cotton lavender, with a wide herbaceous border to the north. A central flight of steps leads down from the lawn to a grass terrace. There are plantings of cornus and magnolia species in rough grass beyond and also a vegetable garden. Fine views overlook the Bedfordshire countryside.

Features
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Clump
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Tetworth
History

Detailed History

Tetworth Hall is an early-18th-century red brick Queen Anne house in parkland on a sandy ridge. The house was built in 1710 for John Pedley, MP (died 1722), with late-18th century additions when the park, formal gardens and woodland walk were laid out.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust