By 1905 Nunhead Green had become a tar-paved playground, although this was later replaced by grass, and as it does now consisted of two areas, a larger area separated by a roadway from a small detached area at the south-west end.
This is a remnant of the old village green of the hamlet of Nunhead. Development of the area was underway by 1840 when the Nunhead Cemetery was built and in 1865 the Lord of the Manor attempted to claim absolute possession of Peckham Rye, which included Nunhead and Goose Greens. This was contested by the parishioners and resulted in Camberwell Vestry purchasing his rights and all three areas were then transferred to the MBW in 1882.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Nunhead. Bus: P12, 78
London Parks and Gardens Trust