Telegraph Hill Park 8107

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Telegraph Hill Park is in two parts, an upper park in the south, and a lower park in the north, divided by Kitto Road. It incorporates the site of one of the Admiralty's 18th-century semaphore stations, which was in use until 1815, from which the park gets its name. The park has continued to develop and was recently restored through a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

History

The public park was the inspiration of the Managing Director of the Metropolitan Gas Co., who contributed £2,000 with similar amounts from the LCC and Greenwich Board of Works, to purchase the land from the Haberdashers' Company. The park was opened on 6 April 1895, and its layout included a bandstand, ponds and elaborate walks, with perimeter planting and a perimeter walk. A shelter and toilets were added later in the northern park, and tennis courts were built on the site of the semaphore station in the south part, which has magnificent views.

Visitor Facilities

Opening as follows: upper/southern park: unrestricted; lower/northern park: 8am - sunset
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Opening as follows: upper/southern park: unrestricted; lower/northern park: 8am - sunset

Directions

Rail: Nunhead. Bus: 343
References

References