The common is mainly open grassland, with occasional trees. Features include a horse chestnut avenue.
Peckham Rye Common was for centuries used as a deer park although local people retained common rights. Together with Nunhead Green and Goose Green, it was purchased by Camberwell Vestry in 1868 after the lord of the manor proposed to develop the land, and it transferred to the MBW in 1882. It was much used for sports and recreation, as well as fairs and other events, and an old pool was later used for bathing until Peckham Rye Pool opened in 1923. The pool was closed in 1987, the site later cleared and landscaped. In 1889 a bandstand formerly sited in the RHS Garden in Kensington was erected here, but it sustained damage during WWII and subsequently demolished.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Peckham Rye then bus, Nunhead then bus. Bus: 12, 37, 63, 78, 312, 343, 484, P12.
London Parks and Gardens Trust