Nine Wells has various springs and an obelisk marking an important site of scientific discovery.
Detailed DescriptionThe channel can still be traced, from Long Road to Trumpington Road. Until 1856 the channel terminated in Market Place at an hexagonal stone fountain called ‘Hobson's conduit'. This structure now stands at the junction of Lensfield Road and Trumpington Road in Cambridge.
At Nine Wells, an obelisk is situated on a high point in the south-east corner of the wooded area which together with the land surrounding the chalk springs is scheduled as a Site of Scientific Interest. The obelisk is enclosed by iron railings.
- Great Shelford
Detailed HistoryThomas Hobson (1544-1631) was jointly responsible with Dr. Andrew Perne for bringing fresh water to the typhoid-ridden city of Cambridge. In 1574 Perne identified a series of springs in the chalk near the northern end of the parish, and proposed digging a channel the three miles to Cambridge. In 1610, Hobson put up the larger part of the funds towards realising the project.
Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust