A late-17th-century house built for Anthony Thompson which was extended in 1909. In 1695 a large garden was laid out to the south of the hall with the brick walls partially surviving until 1980. In 1941 the hall was requisitioned by the government and in 1997 was purchased by its current owners, restored and opened as a hotel.
To the south of the house were pleasure grounds overlooking a meadow and pasture land. Adjoining the field was an orchard and two productive gardens planted with trained and standard fruit trees. Nearby was a well stocked dovecote.
Following the additions to the property, the south garden was simply laid out with lawns edged with low retaining walls and paths around a small circular pond; the meadow became a small park with specimen trees. In 1837 the sale particulars described the northern approach via a circular avenue of elms interspersed with shrubbery and enclosed by a lofty wall.
Dovecote, Lawn, Pond, Avenue, Path
Anstey Hall is a late-17th-century house built for Anthony Thompson, which was doubled in size in 1909. In 1695 Thompson laid out a large garden to the south, the surrounding brick walls partly surviving until 1980.
In 1941 the Hall was requisitioned by the Government and is now no longer a private residence. In 1997 the hall was purchased by its current owners. It is now in use as a wedding and conference venue.
Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust