A large garden associated with the Bell School of Languages established in 1955. The grounds extend for 10 hectares around the college and feature mature trees, glasshouses, herbaceous borders and spring bulbs.
Detailed DescriptionThe garden around the school covers about 10 hectares with south facing views across fields to the Gog Magog Hills. Originally 2.4 hectares were set aside for establishing plants for the garden, and greenhouses were built for growing foliage plants for indoor use in the school buildings. There are large areas of naturalised bulbs in the spring. The garden contains mature trees and a profusion of shrubs for foliage colour. The herbaceous borders and roses add to the effect of a small country house standing in a small park.
Herbaceous Border, Glasshouse, College
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailshttp://www.bell-centres.com/locations/default.asp?locID=cambridge
Detailed HistoryIn September 1955 The Bell School of Languages was opened by Lord Tedder, Chancellor of the University. Summer students had asked the Board of Extra-Mural Studies why the University did not teach English to foreign students. Frank Bell was the prime mover to fill this gap although Davies's School of English had been established in Cambridge two years earlier.
- Associated People