Trumpington Hall features an early-19th-century landscape park associated with a country house built in 1710. There are formal rose beds, three canalised ponds and a kitchen garden.
Detailed DescriptionThe Hall is approached from the east by a long avenue, via a lodge dominated by a fine Phillyrea latifolia, and through extensive parkland established in the 1820s, when the hall was repaired. The drive turns and enters a large segmental-ended forecourt, with wrought-iron gates flanked by tall brick piers supporting urns.
To the north are stables, behind which is a large kitchen garden enclosed by walls, some of which are crinkle-crankle, built before 1830. To the west are views across parkland to Grantchester Meadows.
There are formal rose beds near the hall and at the end of the lawns are three fish ponds which have been formally canalised. To the north are uninterrupted views of Cambridge's college skyline.
- Description: The fish ponds have been formally canalised.
- Description: Some of the remaining walls are of 'crinkle-crankle' construction dating from before 1830.
- Great House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Detailed HistoryIn 1675 Sir Francis Pemberton, Lord Chief Justice of England, bought the estate and a Tudor mansion from the Pytcher family. The Hall was built in 1710.
Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust