Like other urban cemeteries the former burial ground was later converted into a public garden. It was laid out in 1889 with plants, paths and a small fountain designed by Ernest George and Harold Peto. Its name changed to Mount Street Gardens from Mount Field, called after English Civil War fortifications here known as Oliver's Mount. The layout has little changed since 1889, retaining its late C19th gate piers at one entrance. Around 90 sponsored benches line the paths, almost all of which were donated by Americans due to the proximity of the US Embassy.
Mount Street Gardens are on the site of an important early Georgian cemetery built as a result of the 1711 Fifty New Churches Act. The site was acquired by the newly-formed church of St George's Hanover Square as a burial ground in 1723. Few burials took place after 1831 and it closed in 1854.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Green Park (Victoria, Piccadilly, Jubilee); Marble Arch (Central). Bus: 2, 10, 16, 36, 73, 74, 82, 137, 148, 414, 436
London Parks and Gardens Trust