The cemetery is on a triangular site between two busy roads. A small Gothic brick chapel is positioned centrally, around which circular paths are laid out, and from which further paths radiate to the boundaries and to the main entrance on Clifford Avenue. This has 'two sets of fanciful gate piers with acorn finials' (Meller), and a brick and timbered lodge inside the gates. There are numerous trees throughout the cemetery and its original planting was 'lavish and extraordinarily varied'.
Mortlake Cemetery dates from the early-20th century and was built to provide for Hammersmith burials when the old cemetery on Margravine Road was full, hence Mortlake Cemetery's occasional name as Hammersmith New Cemetery.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open Mon-Sat 9am; Sun/Good Fri 10am; closes 4pm (Nov - Jan); 5pm (Oct/Feb); 6pm (Mar/Sep); 7pm (Aug/Apr); 8pm (May - Jul). Xmas Day 10am-3pm
Detailed DescriptionMortlake Cemetery was built to provide for Hammersmith burials when the old cemetery on Margravine Road was full. It was originally designed on a grander scale but the funds ran out and only one small Gothic brick chapel was built, although the original planting had great variety and there are numerous trees in the cemetery. In 1939 Mortlake Crematorium was built to the north of Mortlake Cemetery.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=RIC042
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open Mon-Sat 9am; Sun/Good Fri 10am; closes 4pm (Nov - Jan); 5pm (Oct/Feb); 6pm (Mar/Sep); 7pm (Aug/Apr); 8pm (May - Jul). Xmas Day 10am-3pm
DirectionsTube: Kew Gardens (District). Rail: Mortlake. Bus: 190
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust