The chapel at the main entrance of the cemetery was built in 1906, designed in 13th-century-Gothic style with a slender fleche by the local architect Reginald Rowell, who is buried in the cemetery. A monument of note is the family tomb of the Lancaster family of 1920 by Sydney March, which has a dramatic bronze mourning angel.
The site is shown in 1893/4 as woodland and opened as Barnes Cemetery in 1905.
Visitor Facilities10am-4.30pm (November - March); 10am - 6.30pm ( April - October)
Detailed DescriptionThe site is shown in 1893/4 as woodland and opened as Barnes Cemetery in 1905. In 1913 the northern triangular section of the site was laid out as the cemetery while to the south was a nursery. The cemetery is linked to the main road to the north by an avenue of plane trees, with a lodge at the entrance and a mortuary chapel on the south boundary. In the 1930s the area to the south of Barnes Cemetery was laid out on a grid and the cemetery was subsequently renamed East Sheen Cemetery. Although it now forms a continuous area of graves with Richmond Cemetery, the old Barnes Cemetery boundary is still clearly defined by a holly hedge. The cemetery contains various fine trees, clumps of pampas grass, with yews behind the chapel and on either side of the main roadway between the entrance on Kings Ride Gardens and the chapel.
John Archer, David Curson, 'Nature Conservation in Richmond upon Thames, Ecology Handbook 21', (London Ecology Unit) 1993 p80; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999 p471.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=RIC015
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details10am-4.30pm (November - March); 10am - 6.30pm ( April - October)
DirectionsRail: North Sheen. Rail/London Overground/Tube (District): Richmond. Bus: 33, 337, 493
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust