The small tree-filled churchyard is walled on three sides and abuts St Mary Magdalen RC Primary School, which is contemporary with the church and churchyard.
St Mary Magdalen's RC Church was built in 1852 at a time when the Catholic community in Mortlake was growing, hitherto served by mass held in private houses, such as that of Lady Mostyn in Sheen. The churchyard was opened in 1853 and is particularly important for the mausoleum in the form of an Arab tent of the explorer Sir Richard Burton (d.1890), erected by his wife Isabel, who was buried here in 1896.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 9am - 5pm (but check to confirm: 020 8876 1326).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 9am - 5pm (but check to confirm: 020 8876 1326).
- Mid 19th Century
Official WebsiteClick Here
Southwark Roman Catholic Diocesan Corporation
London Parks and Gardens Trust