Having become neglected, the churchyard was restored as a garden in the 1980s and is now maintained by the Friends of Mortlake Churchyard.
Mortlake was a medieval village, and the first church recorded was a chapel erected in 1348 near the Manor House. St Mary's Church was built on the present site in 1543. The original parish burial ground was a piece of land next to the old chapel that had been given by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1383. St Mary's churchyard was enlarged in 1725/6, in 1742 and again in 1799. It was closed to burials in 1854. The maintenance of the churchyard became the responsibility of the local council in the 1920s.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
- 16th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust