In 2002 new housing was built on 3 sides, much improving the setting of the garden, which was also re-landscaped. It re-opened in 2003 with new paths, seats, railings and children's playground. Tree planting included a conifer to mark the opening of the housing and gardens.
The site was formerly a Quaker Burial Ground established in 1687, the last burial taking place in 1857. It was laid out as a public garden and opened in 1880, later called as Vallance Road Recreation Ground. The garden had a granite drinking fountain, grass, serpentine paths, mature plane trees, some rose beds and a children's playground, but by the late C20th was in a poor state.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsLondon Overground/Tube (District, Hammersmith & City): Whitechapel. Bus: D3
London Parks and Gardens Trust