Manchester Road Recreation Ground 6116

Bury, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

The land for Manchester Road Recreation Ground was bought at the same time as land for Walmersley Road and Rochdale Road recreation grounds. It was unfinished except for the lodge when Prince Albert Victor officially opened the other two, along with Elton Park on 21st July 1888. The site was later opened by Lord Derby in 1890. Alderman Hall, sometime mayor of Bury, gave the bandstand in the park. The site remains extant.

History

The site was opened by Lord Derby in 1890.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.bury.gov.uk/LeisureAndCulture/ParksAndRecreation/UrbanParks/ManchesterRoadPark/default.htm
Features
  • Bandstand
  • Description: Alderman Hall, sometime mayor of Bury, gave the bandstand in the park.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.bury.gov.uk/LeisureAndCulture/ParksAndRecreation/UrbanParks/ManchesterRoadPark/default.htm
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit