Rochdale Road Recreation Ground (also known as Openshaw Park)6123

Bury, Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

Rochdale Road Recreation Ground has a recreation ground bounded by Rochdale Road to the north, Pimhole Road to the west and River Roch to the east. The site is surrounded by a wrought iron fence with a main entrance gate and caretaker's house in half-timbered style. Facilities include a cricket pitch, bowling green and tennis courts as well as swings and sand pits. Planting around the edges of the park was described in 1888 as 'shrubberies, thickly planted, the borders being artistically set out with rows first, of golden feathers, and then violet, with a fringe of a grass plat abutting on the outer red gravelled paths inside the enclosure.' The site remains extant, and is now known as Openshaw Park.

History

Much of the money for the land and construction of the park was donated by Mr T 0 Openshaw, whose mill and the dwelling houses of his workers were close by. The park was opened in 1888.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.bury.gov.uk/LeisureAndCulture/ParksAndRecreation/UrbanParks/OpenshawPark/default.htm
Features
  • Ironwork
  • Description: The site is surrounded by a wrought iron fence.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: There is a caretaker?s house in half-timbered style.
Bowling Green
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.bury.gov.uk/LeisureAndCulture/ParksAndRecreation/UrbanParks/OpenshawPark/default.htm
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit