Starkies (also known as Bankfield Farm)6128

Bury, Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

Starkies has a house and grounds with associated buildings bounded by Manchester Road to the west, Gigg Lane to the north and open fields to other boundaries. The house is situated to the south of the site, with grounds to the north and possible productive garden to the south. The site is extant. There is a group of buildings, with additions, which survive. The site is shown as Bankfield Farm.

History

The house belonged to two brothers, Richard and Thomas Hampson in the late-17th-century. The family still lived there in the 18th century and owned Hampson's Mill half a mile to the south. By 1894 the area around Starkies had been divided into plots for development and the cemetery had been established to the south-east of the site.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit