The Dales 6129

Bury, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

The Dales had a house with grounds and a park bounded by Dale Lane to the east and Ringley Road to the south. There were open areas to other boundaries. The site is irregular, with the house and grounds to the eastern boundary together with a possible productive garden. There is a wooded shelter belt with a lake to the north-west of the site. By 1894, the main entrance turned from Dale Lane to Ringley Road and the drive was extended through the wooded area. A lodge was built at the new entrance. The Prestwich Branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway clips the northern edge of the site. Parts of the site survive. The house and lodge have been demolished, but part of the park is now open land surrounded by a housing development.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit