Long Lane Playground is on the site of a Quaker Burial Ground whose perimeter wall remains as the wall to the recreation ground, now laid out as a playground. The garden consists of an area of grass with some shrubs to the front boundary with Long Lane and south of the wall, which remains across the centre of the playground.
A slab records the opening of the Society of Friends burial ground in 1697 and its closure in 1855. A stone tablet set into the wall records that it was built in 1749 - 1750 by John Savage; another plaque records a further wall built in 1789 by the Quakers. The burial ground adjoined that of the Neckinger Road Baptist Chapel established in 1690, which joined with the Back Street Independent Chapel and bought the piece of land for a burial ground. Both were laid out as a children's playground by Bermondsey Vestry in 1885. A number of tombstones remain along the walls, one tomb dated 1791. At the entrance on Long Lane are possibly the remains of the meeting house.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: London Bridge. Tube: London Bridge (Northern, Jubilee), Tower Hill (District, Circle) then bus. Bus: 42, 78.