The museum is bounded by its original railings, with garden to the front and on either side, predominantly lawn with perimeter trees. 'The Eagle Slayer', a bronze statue of a boy by John Bell, was erected in the north-west corner of the grounds in 1927, since relocated inside the museum following substantial refurbishment works completed in 2006, which included remodelling the front landscaping of the grounds.
Bethnal Green Museum was built on part of the remnants of the old Bethnal Green, 4.5 acres of which were sold in 1868 for the new Museum with the proviso that land not built on was to be public recreation grounds. In 1872 the 'Brompton Boilers' Museum was re-erected here, a temporary structure that had been built in 1856 to house the new South Kensington Museum. The plane trees south of the building were planted in 1872 to form a division between the Museum and the Green and now separate the museum grounds from the public gardens.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open from 10am - 5.50pm daily (closed 25/26 December, 1 January).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open from 10am - 5.50pm daily (closed 25/26 December, 1 January).
DirectionsTube: Bethnal Green (Central). Bus: D6, 106, 254, 309, 388.
London Parks and Gardens Trust