The park entrance through the original 1930s gates leads directly to the small memorial garden before the park opens out. An area of formal planting surrounds a small pond with a fine willow, a sculpture by Jack Gardner, 'Tao Column 92', sited nearby.
Memorial Park was Chingford UDC's first municipal park, laid out on an irregularly shaped site surrounded by early-20th century residential streets. The park incorporated an already existing sunken Garden of Remembrance that had been created by public subscription as a memorial to those who lost their lives in World War 1. It was taken over by the UDC when they laid out Memorial Park in 1930. Facilities in the new park included tennis courts, a bowling green and pavilion.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 9am - half hour before sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 9am - half hour before sunset.
DirectionsRail: Highams Park; Chingford then bus. Bus: 97, 212, W16
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust