Lambeth Cemetery and Crematorium 7234

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The cemetery was laid out on a grid pattern, with brick gothic lodges and chapels designed by Frederick K Wehnert and John Ashdown. Today the cemetery has well-landscaped areas, paths, trees and grass as well as areas densely packed with graves.

History

Lambeth Cemetery was established as additional burial space for the parish of St Mary Lambeth in 1853/4.

Visitor Facilities

Weekdays: 8am - 6pm (April-October)/ - 4pm (November-March). Weekends/Bank Holidays 10am - 6pm (April-October)/ - 4pm (November-March)

Detailed Description

Lambeth Cemetery was established as additional burial space for the parish of St Mary Lambeth in 1853/4, 12 hectares having been purchased from Samuel Martin of Garratt Lane. The cemetery was laid out on a grid pattern, with brick gothic lodges and chapels designed by Frederick K Wehnert and John Ashdown. The cost of land, layout and buildings amounted to £21,500. In 1874 the Burial Board acquired a further c.4.45 hectares as the need for additional space grew and by 1889 there had been over 109,000 burials here. The Crematorium was added in the 1970s towards the north of the cemetery.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=WND026

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Weekdays: 8am - 6pm (April-October)/ - 4pm (November-March). Weekends/Bank Holidays 10am - 6pm (April-October)/ - 4pm (November-March)

Directions

Tube: Tooting Broadway (Northern). Rail: Haydons Road. Bus: 155, 280
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust