Features of King Edward's Recreation Ground include tennis courts, a bowling club, cricket and football pitches.
Formerly private land in agricultural use, the site was reserved for public open space when the small hamlet of Hook was growing as a result of the new railway line serving Surbiton in the 19th century. Originally called Hook Recreation Ground, it was opened in May 1901 and renamed for the new King, Edward VII. In 1935 an adjoining plot of land to the north was donated and laid out as a rose garden commemorating George V's Silver Jubilee.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Surbiton, Chessington North then bus. Bus: K2, K4, 46.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)