The Grapsome is the remains of ancient woodland managed as coppice wood with standards, now a small copse on the western boundary of the borough.
The area was previously known as Graplingeham, probably so-called after an early owner and is thought to be a moated manor from before the Norman Conquest. By the C19th it is marked as woodland called The Grapsome on the first OS map of 1865. The site was eroded when the Esher By-pass was built in 1974/5.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Chessington South
London Parks and Gardens Trust