The site was re-landscaped for the Festival of Britain in 1951, when it was enclosed with a dwarf brick wall and iron railings, planted with crab apple trees and provided with seating.
Kennington Green came into being as a result of the opening of Westminster Bridge in 1750. The land was left as waste land and was subsequently maintained by the Duchy of Cornwall as Lord of the Manor. In 1928 it was described as a 'very attractive [. . . ] triangular area maintained as a lawn with trees around the border'. The MPGA acquired the site from the Duchy for £5 and it was transferred to Lambeth Borough Council in 1938.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Kennington, Oval (Northern). Bus: 159, 59, 3, 133, 155.
London Parks and Gardens Trust