Lorrimore Gardens is a recreation ground laid mainly to grass with scattered trees.
Lorrimore Square was built in the 1850s, its name deriving from Lorrimore Common, one of two commons in the Manor of Walworth, which was enclosed in 1769. A site south-west of the former commonland was donated by the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury to build the church of St Paul, Lorrimore Square, which was consecrated in 1856, the ground around the church let for building. The church and much of the area suffered bomb damage in World War 2. The church was rebuilt in 1955-60, a number of the houses restored, and the former green space became part of the large LCC Brandon Estate, designed in 1955 and built and extended into the 1960s.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Kennington; Elephant and Castle (Northern). Bus: 3, 159, P5
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust