Inveresk Lodge Garden 1851

Musselburgh, Scotland

Brief Description

The gardens at Inveresk Lodge House are associated with a 17th-century house. Late-19th-century terraced gardens were redesigned in the mid-20th century and planted informally with a good variety of unusual trees and shrubs, some of them tender. There is also a woodland garden under a canopy of deciduous trees and areas for wildlife. There is an active Friends Group.

History

Inveresk Lodge is the oldest building in Inveresk today, although little is known of its individual history. It was built between 1683-1700 and is known to have changed hands many times. A plan of 1851 showed a long walk flanked by planting on either side along the northern boundary of the present garden, the remainder of which was divided into five compartments by tree planting. The terraced walls of the garden appear to have been laid out subsequent to the preparation of this plan. The terraced gardens were later were redesigned by Mr Eric Robson and the garden was opened to the public in 1962.

Visitor Facilities

The garden is open daily all year from 10am. More information

Detailed Description

The following is from the Historic Environment Scotland Gardens and Designed Landscapes Inventory. For the most up-to-date Inventory entry, please visit the Historic Environment Scotland website:

http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/hes/web/f?p=PORTAL:DESIGNATIONS:0

Location and Setting

Inveresk Lodge Garden is situated within the picturesque village of Inveresk which lies on a ridge some 6 miles (9.5km) east of Edinburgh's city centre. The A6124 runs through the village and forms the northern boundary of the site. The garden slopes in a south-westerly direction towards a loop in the River Esk which forms the southern boundary of the garden. The town of Musselburgh on the shores of the Firth of Forth lies to the north of Inveresk. To the south beyond the River Esk lies Monktonhall Golf Course and, beyond, the sprawling industrial and suburban landscape of Midlothian. From within the garden, views can be gained on a clear day to Arthur's Seat in the west and the Pentland Hills in the south, due to the south-westerly aspect of the site. The north boundary wall of the garden prevents views into the garden from the village of Inveresk.

Inveresk Lodge is situated at the north-west corner of the garden which extends over some 13 acres (5.3ha) between the A6124 in the north and the River Esk to the south. Documentary evidence is confined to the 1st edition OS map of c.1850, a survey plan by James Hay of 1851, the 2nd edition OS map of c.1900 and a survey plan of the garden in 1982. Comparison of these plans shows the extent of the garden to have changed little since 1850.

Landscape Components

Architectural Features

Inveresk Lodge is an L-plan, two-storey mansion built between 1683-1700 with subsequent additions. The category A listing for the house includes the garden walls lining Inveresk village road and Wedderburn Terrace. The Terraced Gardens are thought to have been built in the late 19th century. Buttresses were added to the lower terrace walls c.1960. The Summerhouse stands at the south-west corner of the terraced garden.

The Gate at the entrance to the garden is modern, the work of a local blacksmith. Various urns and troughs which stand in the courtyard and throughout the garden have been brought in since 1960 as has a sundial which stands in the garden which was gifted by Mrs Beveridge from Pitreavie Castle.

Woodland Garden

The woodland garden is situated along the south-eastern boundary of the garden amid a canopy of elm, oak and lime trees planted between 1870-1920. The garden also incorporates part of the former orchard of the house and some Rhododendron and Azaleas which were remnants of the pre-1960 planting.

The Gardens

The terraced gardens lie to the immediate east and south of the house. The gardens were designed with features which could be incorporated into any small garden. The entrance to the gardens is at the north-west corner. Next to this entrance, a glasshouse extends along the north boundary wall and houses many of the more tender garden plants, including Acacia armata and Plumbago capensis, and also the aviary. Along the front wall of the glasshouse, shrubs unusual to the Edinburgh area have been planted; among them Carpenteria californica. Beyond the glasshouse is a shrub rose border, designed by Graham Stuart Thomas which includes both old- fashioned and modern varieties edged with low-growing plants such as Stachys, Dianthus and lavenders.

A square lawn lies to the immediate east of the house, on which stands a mature yew, a remnant of the earlier landscape; the lawn is retained by a stone wall against which a variety of shrubs has been trained. From this terrace, steps lead down to a flagged path running approximately west-east along which four 'Hibernica' have been established. From this terrace, a bank of shrubs slopes down to a lawn which extends along the southern half of the garden and, at the east end, sweeps up to meet the shrub rose border on the north boundary. The grass is regularly interrupted by specimen trees and shrub borders which create or highlight smaller spaces. Vistas have been focused on the fine Pitreavie sundial which stands almost at the centre of the site.

From the east end of the terraced gardens, a footpath leads to the woodland garden and, from it, a path returns along the lower side of the main retaining wall where flowering shrubs have been planted between the buttresses. At the west end of the path is the present vegetable garden for the house.

Features

Plant Environment

  • Walled Garden
  • Environment
  • Sundial
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rose Border
  • Description: A border of shrub roses designed by Graham Stuart Thomas.
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Inveresk Lodge is an L-plan, two-storey mansion built between 1683-1700 with subsequent additions.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Description: A natural pond area.
  • Planting
  • Description: The National Tropaeolum collection.
  • Glasshouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Summerhouse, Aviary
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The garden is open daily all year from 10am.

Directions

Inveresk Lodge Garden is on the southern edge of Musselburgh on the A6124. The garden is one mile from National Cycle Route 1 and there are buses from Edinburgh (ring Lothian Regional Transport on 0131 555 6363).
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Musselburgh Central
History

Detailed History

The following is from the Historic Environment Scotland Gardens and Designed Landscapes Inventory. For the most up-to-date Inventory entry, please visit the Historic Environment Scotland website:

http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/hes/web/f?p=PORTAL:DESIGNATIONS:0

Reason for Inclusion

A fine garden containing many unusually tender plants and borders designed by Graham Stuart Thomas.

Site History

The terraced gardens are thought to have been laid out in the latter half of the 19th century, although the present layout of the garden is modern, dating from c.1960.

Inveresk village was the site of both a military and civil Roman settlement. Later, the lands belonged to the monks of Dunfermline but there is no evidence to confirm that there was ever a monastery here. Many historical events took place near Inveresk such as the Battles of Pinkie and Prestonpans and, in 1650, Oliver Cromwell established his headquarters at Inveresk House.

Inveresk Lodge is the oldest building in Inveresk today, although little is known of its individual history. It was built between 1683-1700 and is known to have changed hands many times before it was acquired by the family of Wedderburn of Blackness who held it for c.110 years. In 1851, it was owned by a Miss Wedderburn who commissioned James Hay to prepare a survey plan of the garden in that year. The plan showed a long walk flanked by planting on either side along the northern boundary of the present garden, the remainder of which was divided into five compartments by tree planting. The terraced walls of the garden appear to have been laid out subsequent to the preparation of this plan, the exact date of the work is unknown but they are indicated on the 2nd edition OS map surveyed c.1900 and may have been built c.1881, the date on one of the garden walls. The estate was purchased by the Elphinstone family who subsequently passed it to the Bruntons. Mr Brunton had an interest in ornithology and built two aviaries in the field to the south of the terraced garden. Mrs Helen Brunton donated the house and garden to the National Trust for Scotland in 1959. The terraced gardens, which had become overgrown latterly due to the illness of Mrs Brunton, were redesigned by Mr Eric Robson and the garden was opened to the public in 1962. The house is let by the NTS on a long-term lease.

Associated People

People associated to Inveresk Lodge Garden

Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Historic Scotland