Whitehurst 3499

Chirk, Wales

Brief Description

Whitehurst contains tiered curving fruit walls, gates, a banqueting house and a mount. Twentieth-century cottages now occupy part of the garden.

History

Whitehurst was originally the walled garden of Chirk Castle. It was built in the mid- to late-17th century for productive and ornamental purposes.

Features
  • Mount
  • Description: The mount is conical with a flat top. A yew tree is planted on the summit. A 1735 drawing shows it with a spiral ride up to the top.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Banqueting House
  • Description: The banqueting house was built into the lowest curved terracing wall in the garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Fruit-growing Wall
  • Description: Tiered curving fruit walls.
Gate
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here
References

References