Haigh Hall 1577

Wigan, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Haigh Hall was built in the mid-19th century within a landscape park occupying about 90 hectares. The site is now a country park, with walled gardens, woodland walks and municipal bedding.

History

Formal gardens were established at the hall in the late-17th or early-18th century and are shown by Knyff and Kip, 1707. There were modifications to the layout in a 1750 painting attributed to Joseph Highmore. This painting also shows an apparently mined Gothic eye-catcher on the hill crest east of the hall. There were terraces with a parterre and geometrical divisions extending outwards from the hall on falling ground to the south and west. These formal gardens were swept away in the 19th century landscaping carried out by the Earl of Crawford.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open daily. Please telephone 01942 832895 for more details.

Terrain

Steeply sloping

Detailed Description

There is mainly open parkland to the west and immediately south of the hall with woodland to the east and further to the south.

Haigh Park slopes steeply from the north-east to the south-west with the hall in the higher, north-eastern region of the site, which is backed by woodland. The park is bisected by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal running north-west/south-east 0.5 kilometres south-west of the hall.

The stables, which date from 1865, lie 200 metres north of the hall. There is a walled garden 250 metres to the north-east and entrance lodges and gateway (dating from around 1840) on the Wigan Lane.

The site remains extant. The Hall was purchased by the Wigan Corporation in 1947. The hall is used for receptions and the estate is a country park. Haigh Hall is registered as a Grade II building.

Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The Hall (1827-40) was built by James Earl of Crawford on the site of an earlier building shown by Knyff in J Beeverell Deuces de la Grande Bretagne, vol 5, 1707.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: The stables, which date from 1865, lie 200 metres north of the hall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: There are entrance lodges and a gateway (dating from around 1840) on the Wigan Lane.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Canal
  • Description: The park is bisected by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal running north-west/south-east 0.5 kilometres south-west of the hall.
Lawn, Carpet Bed, Shrubbery, Pond, Fountain
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open daily. Please telephone 01942 832895 for more details.

Directions

Close to the M6 junction 27 and M61 junction 6.
History

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit