One of the largest parish church in London, it was nicknamed the Cathedral of the East. The tower, built in 1877-80, features a turret barometer, probably the only working one in Europe. The church is surrounded by a churchyard garden with lawn, some shrubbery and notable mature trees around the railed perimeter.
From the 1840s, Dalston was rapidly expanding as a middle class suburb and in the 1860s a planned residential development was built on land owned by the Lord of the Manor. The population was initially served by an iron church, which St Mark's Church was built to replace in 1863-66.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsLondon Overground: Dalston Kingsland, Dalston Junction. Bus: 30, 56, 236.
- Mid 19th Century
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust