The Greenway (also known as Shurdington House)6738

Cheltenham, England, Gloucestershire, Tewkesbury

Brief Description

Few traces of the original garden remain, and the parkland in front of the house has also gone. There are some large trees in the remaining area of the garden. There is a terraced garden and lily pond behind the house.

History

The original garden was developed by William Lawrence in the late-17th century. It was planned in memory of his only child, Willy, who died in 1691. Further redesigning and planting of the garden took place in the early-20th century.

Detailed Description

The house is approached by a driveway, which is bordered with evergreen shrubs. Only a few traces of the original garden now remain in the form of areas which are enclosed with yew hedges, although the latter were mostly planted in the 20th century. Immediately behind the house, there is now a terraced garden with a lily pond surrounded by stone slabs. The original parkland in front of the house is no longer in existence. However, there are still some large trees growing in various areas of the remaining garden, which is maintained to a reasonable standard with planting suited to its present usage.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Now Hotel
  • Earliest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: The house is approached by a driveway, which is bordered with evergreen shrubs.
  • Hedge
  • Description: The yew hedges were mostly planted in the 20th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Terrace
  • Description: Immediately behind the house, there is now a terraced garden.
  • Pond
  • Description: There is a lily pond surrounded by stone slabs.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Large trees growing on the hill rising behind the garden indicate an area of parkland which used to exist previously.
Access & Directions

Directions

http://www.thegreenway.co.uk/directions.asp
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Shurdington
History

Detailed History

The estate land was originally known as The Little Shurdington Estate. It was bordered on one side by the pre-Roman path leading to an early burial site and the remains of an pre-Iron Age fort. This path was known as 'Green Way', indicating it was one of the safe walkways through the surrounding hills.

The Lawrence (or Laurence) family originated from Lancashire and records show that they owned the land as early as 1521. William Lawrence inherited the estate in 1584 and immediately started building the house. By 1616 it was recorded in the Court Manorial Rolls. His son, also William Lawrence, inherited the estate in 1638 but he never married. The estate was passed to his nephew, another William Lawrence, who lived there until his death in 1697, when it passed to his second wife, Dulcibella.

The next owner was a nephew, Littleton Lawrence, and the estate then remained in the family until 1854, when it was sold to Colonel Godfrey. In 1909, it was bought by the Venerable Archdeacon Sinclair, who undertook extensive garden alterations. There was another change of ownership in 1919, when it was sold to George Constable Hayes, who lived there until his death in 1946, after which it was sold again and became a hotel.

It remains as a hotel today, now called 'The Greenway', a name taken from the original path which still runs alongside the property.

Associated People

Just one person associated to The Greenway

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Eden Hotel Collection

References

References

Contributors

  • Mary Blumer

    1

  • Gloucestershire Gardens and Landscape Trust