Ullenwood 6309

Cheltenham, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

The house and grounds at Ullenwood have been home to a special school for disabled people since 1967. Part of the 19th-century parkland has been converted into a golf course.

Detailed Description

The house and grounds are well maintained, including the lodges, entrance gates and walls, which are of high quality. The former coach house to the north east was converted to a chapel in 1955. The parkland to the south, north and east of the house is now used as a golf course.

Extensive modern buildings have been erected around the original house in recent years in connection with the present use of the site. The Octagonal Court was built in 1972 by Rosier, Whitestone & Bartosch and remodelled in 1992 by Eric Cole & Parteners, who built many of the rest of the buildings. The lake and surrounding garden are still well maintained as is much of the parkland. The original parkland to the south, north and east of the house has been converted to a golf course . The original tree planting nearest the Air Balloon Pub has been removed, but other groups of trees to the south and west of the house largely remain intact.

The sale particulars of 1932 described informal grounds comprising ornamental tree and shrub planting, lawns, yew hedges in the upper garden and a lake and spring pond with a border of sheltered walks and lawns. There was also a kitchen garden a short distance from the house. The particulars from the 1934 sale made special mention of the parkland plantings.

Features
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: The East Lodge with shaped gables and round chimneys.
Lake
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Coberley
History

Detailed History

The house was built in 1878 by W H Knight of Cheltenham for Sarah Hampson, daughter of William Hall of Seven Springs House, who was a Lancashire cotton manufacturer. The house is rock-faced built in the Gothic and Tudor style and was enlarged in about 1895.

According to Kelly's directory it belonged to Mrs.S.W.Bubb in 1894 and to Henry Bubb JP in 1914. He continued to live there until his death in l931. It was put on the market by Miss Bubb in 1932 and 1934. By 1939 a Thomas Edward Davis is living there.

The National Star Centre for Disabled Youth bought the house in 1967.

References

References