Montpellier Gardens are mid-19th-century public gardens that were originally associated with one of Cheltenham's spas. Features remaining from the Victorian period include the bandstand, some tree planting and a lodge.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
Montpellier Gardens are municipal gardens for general public use.
The gardens are situated in the town centre between Montpellier Walk and Montpellier Terrace.
Cheltenham Borough CouncilMunicipal Offices, Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 9SA
Montpellier Spa was founded in 1809 by Henry Thompson. The first pump room was on the site of the present Montpellier Spas (now Lloyd's Bank), and was replaced in 1817 by the Long Room, designed by G A Underwood. Thompson also laid out Montpellier Rides and Walks either side of a roughly square area of grass which is now the site of Montpellier Gardens. Papworth prepared two plans for the gardens but neither were executed. Thompson ran out of money and the site was sold on to the Jearrad brothers, who implemented their own scheme for the site as recorded on the Merret plan of 1834.
This layout divided the square into two unequal halves: the main part containing a series of serpentine walks, many flower beds and trees planted throughout, whilst the other part was more open with extensive ornamental conservatories at one end and a bandstand in the form of a Chinese pagoda at the other. The gardens were only used by subscribers to the Spa, until in 1861 a philanthropic welfare company purchased the gardens to make them available to the public for recreation. They still fulfil this purpose today.
- Features & Designations
- Reference: Cheltenham (Central)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Description: A proscenium or outdoor theatre dating back to the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Key Information
Open to the public
Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust