Witcombe Park 6342

Great Witcombe, England, Gloucestershire, Gloucester

Brief Description

Witcombe Park has a gazebo dating from the early-18th-century layout. The outlines of a deer park of that period are visible on the hillside above the house. The 18th-century house was demolished in the late-19th century and completely remodelled.

History

The manor house was originally built by Sir Michael Hicks in about 1704. About the same time a walled garden was created with a small gazebo dated 1697, which survives today.

Features
  • Gazebo
  • Description: Gazebo in the former walled garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Description: Gateposts and finials from the original wall surrounding the estate.
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The present house replaced the original building which had been demolished in the late-19th century after a period of neglect. The present building bears no resemblance to the original structure.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

The manor house was originally built by Sir Michael Hicks in about 1704. His family had owned the estate since the early 17th century. About the same time a walled garden was created with a small gazebo dated 1697, which survives today. A deer park was laid out on the hillside above the house, and the outlines of this area can still be seen.

The house was not adequately maintained during the 18th and 19th centuries and deteriorated badly so that eventually it had to be demolished in the late 19th century. The replacement house was built in 1891, facing the park, supposedly as a temporary measure. To date it is still there and is considered by Pevsner to be a poor alternative to the original building.

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust

  • Mary Blumer

    1